Our Best Recipe for Fastelavnsboller
Fastelavn is a Nordic holiday celebrated on Sunday or Monday before Ash Wednesday. There are many different varieties of Fastelavnsboller recipes. Below is a basic recipe, for you to customise with marmelade, marzipan, whipped cream or custard – as you prefer.
The sweet buns
150 gr butter
5 dl milk or water
50 gr fresh yeast
1 dl sugar
12-13 dl strong white flour
½ teaspoon cardamome
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon bakingpowder
The whipped cream
3 dl double cream
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar
1. Melt the butter, add water/milk, warm until 38C.
2. Add salt and just a little sugar to the yeast to let the yeast melt.
3. Add water/butter and stir well. Add the rest of the sugar and almost all of the flour. Knead until you get a smooth dough, add more flour if necessary.
4. Let the dough rest and rise to double size. (time may vary depending on room temperature etc. Be patient!)
5. Knead again and cut the dough into 25 small pieces that you make into rolls. Put the rolls on a baking trey, cover with cling film and let them rise again for 20-30 minutes.
6. Bake at 230C for 10-15 minutes. Leave too cool.
7. Cut the sweet buns and fill it with whipped cream, jam or marzipan after taste. Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy!
Fastelavn will be celebrated in Scandinavia on the 3rd of March 2019.