Saint Lucia is a Swedish tradition that comes around every December, when choirs around Sweden gather to light candles and sing well-known songs, as a bit of light during the December darkness.
The Lucia celebration in London is one of the biggest events of he year for the Swedish community, hosted by the Swedish church.
I’ve been in touch with the Swedish church to see if Lucia will take place this year, considering everything else going on. And the short answer was yes!
Overview of the Swedish Church ‘Svenska kyrkans’ Lucia 2020
- Saturday 5 Dec Brighton 4pm
- Tuesday 8 Dec Ulrika Eleonora 6:30pm and 8pm
- Thursday 10 Dec Ulrika Eleonora 6:30pm and 8pm
- Friday 11 Dec Westminster 7pm
- Saturday 12 Dec Ulrika Eleonora 2pm, 3:30pm, 5:30pm and 7pm
- Sunday 13 Dec Southwark 7:30pm
- Tuesday 15 Dec Ulrika Eleonora 6.30pm and 8pm
- Sunday 13 Dec Family service in Ulrika Eleonora 11am
The celebration of Lucia will take place in The Swedish Church in London Ulrika Eleonora in Marylebone this December. As for Lucia in Westminster cathedral, Southwark and Brighton the dates are preliminary, to be confirmed as soon as possible. In addition the plan is to have a digital Lucia as well.
Tickets to go on sale in a few weeks, from svenskakyrkan.se/london/nyheter/lucia-2020
Tips: Follow Little Scandinavian on Facebook to be alerted as soon as the tickets go on sale!
Photo: Åsa Westerlund, Lucia in Southwark Cathedral