Today’s recipe is a moist apple cake that makes the whole house smell delicious! With only 15 minutes preparation time it’s fabulous and foolproof –simply perfect for this time of the year and especially on a rainy day!
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Grease a deep 24cm springform cake tin.
2. Peel, core and cut the apples into 1cm pieces.
3. Using an electric hand whisk or stand in mixer, cream together the soft butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, adding a little flour with each addition to keep the mixture smooth. Sift the remaining flour and the baking powder into the bowl.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Toss the apples on the mixture fairly evenly. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and then spread the grounded almonds. Finish of with a thin layer of icing sugar on top before you place the baking tin in the oven.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes. It should be golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If the cake starts to look a little too brown, cover with a sheet of baking paper after about 45 minutes.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired.
The Norwegian Apple Cake serves 10 so invite friends, or why not your neighbours, over for tea.
To see more Norwegian and Scandinavian recipes visit our Scandi Kitchen