We wish all readers of little Scandinavian a Happy New Year and best wishes for 2012! Thank you for supporting us and we hope you’ll follow our little blog’s journey in the new year too. With love, The Little Scandinavian family.
Norwegian Layered Gateau presented by Ginette Mathiot from the wonderful collection of recipes in ‘The Art of French Baking’.
Layered cake is a festive tradition in Norway, no proper party without a layered cake! See the full recipe here…
Preparation time 45 minutes
Cooking time 45 minutes
Ingredients, Crème Pâtissière
5dl Whole Milk
1 Vanilla Pod
50g Plain Flour
75g Caster Sugar
3 Egg yolks
Butter for greasing
300g Caster Sugar
250g Plain Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
250g Icing Sugar
Glacé Cherries, halved
Method, Crème Pâtissière
- Warm the milk with the vanilla pad slowly until it boils, remove
- Mix Sugar, flour and eggs until it is smooth
- Pour the varm milk over the mix, a bit at the time while stirring
- Add the mix back into the pan, and bring the boil gently while constantly stirring.
- The Crème Pâtissière should now be nice and thick
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Grease the cake tin, 23cm
- Whisk the Sugar and eggs for 10min, or until they have tripled in volume and it is pale
- Gently fold in 150ml of Kirsch into the mixture
- Mix the flour and baking powder
- Fold that into the mix too, a bit at the time
- Add the mix to the cake tin, and bake for 45 min
- When the cake has cooled down, cut into 3 layers
- Add Crème Pâtissière between cake layers.
- Mix the icing sugar with water and apply to the top of the cake
- Finish the cake by decorating it with the glacé cherries
About the cookbook, The Art of French Baking by Ginette Mathiot; This is not a recipe collection for professionals, but rather a cookbook intended for everyone who wants to make classic, tasty dessert using good-quality ingredients and a minimum of equipment.