My grandmother makes the best cinnamon buns, without doubt. I don’t know what her secret is, as I have the recipe but they never turn out just quite like hers. Inspired by baking bread with sourdough I searched for the best cinnamon bun recipe with sourdough and found it on one of my favorite sources for baking inspiration, on the Swedish blog www.brodpassion.se To be shared with you!
I followed the tutorial video (after watching it at least 10 times 🙂 ) on how to create the perfect sourdough cinnamon bun in 24 hours -charmingly presented with French music! See the tutorial here, link
You’ll find the recipe below. Here’s our go, in pictures.
© Photos by Little Scandinavian
Makes: 12 – 18 buns
Cooking time (including waiting): 24 hours !
Time spent: 1 – 1.5hours
700 g flour, organic wheat (we use Shipton Mill’s untreated organic white flour)
350 – 400 g whole milk
40-80 g wheat sourdough
100 g cane sugar
10 g salt
10 g crushed cardamom seeds
100 g butter, unsalted (fridge cold)
250 g butter, unsalted (leave in room temperature until soft)
100 g caster sugar
25 g cinnamon
200 g water
220g cane sugar
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough together, www.brodpassion.se has a good video showing how to do it here: link
- Rest the dough for 30 min before adding the butter. Knock the butter flat with a rolling pin before mixing it into the dough. Knead until the dough is elastic and smooth.
- Cover and rest the dough for 8 hours.
- Mix the soft butter, caster sugar and cinnamon until you have a smooth soft paste.
- At this stage you can also make the glaze, heat the water and sugar. Cool when sugar is completely dissolved and leave until buns have risen.
- Roll out the dough to a large square using a rolling pin, until about 1/2 cm thick.
- Add the butter mix, should cover 2/3 of the dough
- Fold the dough together as shown in the picture above.
- Cut into 12-18 (depending on the size you want) equally sized pieces
- Time to shape the buns! Twirl it into your preferred shape.
- Rest for 8-12 hours.
- Apply the glaze ( and coarse sugar)
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 min at 200ºC
- When done, apply some more glaze
- Rest for 30 min, then dig in! Make sure you invite friends around to avoid eating all 18 on your own!
7 thoughts on “Scandinavian Cinnamon Bun Recipe”
Dear Nikka. Apologies for the confusion caused! The butter which is incorporated into the dough is kneaded into it. The butter, sugar and cinnamon mix is folded as shown in the picture, before cutting it into long strips. Hope this clarifies. If not not – please get in touch with us again! Best, Bianca
Thx for the recipe. I am just a little bit confused with the instruction on how to mix the butter in the dough. The text say to knead it into the dough but the instruction movie you (or the website of the original recipe) refers to says to use the layer techniek used in croissant dough (puff pastry). Which techniek do I use; The kneading or layering ?
Sébastien , the blogger behind Brodpassion says: “Good recipes are made to be shared!” So we’ll translate and share it tonight! 🙂
They were as yummy, sticky and absolutely delicious as they looked. I’ll contact the blogger and ask for his permission to reprint his recipe! In English of course! 🙂 I’ll keep you posted. x
Oooh, they look delicious! But as I sadly cannot read Swedish, I can only admire from afar, not recreate. :'( Thank you for the mouth-watering pictures, though.