No fresh bread or rolls at home and craving for something fresh and easy for a Saturday breakfast© Little B made us some freshly baked scones this morning. It took her about 20 minutes altogether + additional 5 minutes to set the table.
225g organic plain white flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
60g slightly salted butter
25g caster sugar
150ml whole milk
1 free range egg, beaten
1. Heat the oven to 220C. Lightly grease a baking sheet if you don’t have reusable teflon baking sheets.
2. Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and rub in the butter that are cut into small squares.
3. Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough. Little B chose to use her hands… Very messy and a lot of fun!
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round. Use a knife lightly cutting it in 4 and place on a baking sheet.
5. Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
6. Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter and homemade jam.
Wish you all a happy weekend!